Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy New Year!

Minnie, Saul, Foxy, Rose and Esme wish everyone a happy and healthy 2011!
This Christmas we made dog treats for all of our friends and the favorite was Pumpkin Cookies!
The Recipe is
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
  3. Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.
I liked this recipe because the dough was very easy to work with. After cutting lots of shapes I ended up cutting the dough into strips with a pizza cutter and then twisted the strips before I put them on the baking sheet for interest.
Of all the cookies we made our Bichons loved these the best.
Because we made so many, we put extras in the Fridge so they would keep longer and they are still very crunchy and fresh 3 weeks after baking.
One word of warning, our dogs like the home baked treats so much they now are a little bit picky about eating store bought treats. They have even turned their noses up to I can't believe it's not bacon.

I feel very blessed to have my Bichons around me all year. My Bichons were a great comfort to me this fall as my Grandmother became very ill and then passed away in November. Although I spent a lot of time away from them while I helped care for my grandmother, they were always waiting for me and made sure to give me lots of love and kisses as soon as I returned home. I also should thank my husband and son who stayed at home and took extra good care of my girls while Saul and I were in Minnesota.

I have a feeling that one of our girls will be going into heat soon, I am not sure who, but we are looking forward to the pitter patter of little feet again. It has just been so gosh darn quiet in the house. We do have a waiting list started for 2011 spring and summer puppies but are always willing to add another family to our waiting list.
If you are interested send me an email at Lorettaspins@gmail.com

I hope you and your beloved pets have a safe and healthy 2011!
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year from Wisconsin. Can't wait to try the cookie recipe. Sloppy puppy kisses from Princess Lola and hugs from Josie and Patrick.